This is one of the dreaded spring-cleaning tasks that usually gets pushed to the far bottom of the “to-do” list, and more often than not gets forgotten.
As the Nike Corporation would say “Just do it!”
Your home’s windows ideally should be washed twice a year. Doing this will make the task seem less daunting and your home will sparkle year round. Here are a few tips and materials you should be using to make the process quick and painless:
- Cleaning your windows on a cloudy day can result in fewer streaks.
- Soft Bristled Brush: use this to brush away all the chunky stuff such as dirt, cobwebs and dust.
- The best home remedy solution to use is vinegar mixed with steaming hot water. This solution will leave your windows squeaky clean and is also not harmful to the environment.
- Sponge/ hog- bristle scrub brush: good for scrubbing the windowpane, and getting rid of dirt and weather build-up.
- Don’t use a scrunched up piece of newspaper or paper towel. This defeats the purpose and ends up just moving the dirt around instead of actually cleaning the window.
- Instead use a Squeegee: it is worth your while to invest in a good quality squeegee, as it will last longer and won’t leave streaks- usually come in three parts.
- Make sure to always squeegee starting from the top of the window and pull it downward, making sure you don’t touch the windowsill.
- Scraper: this is useful to get tough marks off of your window.
- Lint free cloth: use this to dry your window. Make sure it has not been washed with fabric softener, as the residue will leave streaks on your window.
*There are also many local window cleaners around the city that will do the job for you, such as Harding’s Window Cleaning or Squeaky Clean Windows. Also check out Who to Call for a list of window cleaning service options.
Now here is the fun part! Once your windows are all shiny, you can dress them up. Windows act as permanent accessories to a room and are a cheap way to change it up, or even add a polished look from the exterior of your home.
Here are some stylish modern trends that will make your sparkly windows pop:
Sheers are making a huge return to the interior design world of window fashions. No longer are they white frilly polyester dust collectors that are circa 1920.
Gossamer Sheers are extremely elegant window treatments. Dramatic colors such as cocoa and smoky red, or embossed prints or printed patterns are all very popular. They are made out of iridescent fibers and are interwoven, usually with different materials to add texture.
Extra long fabric that is well tailored, with longer loose pleats give a very modern country feel to a room.
Honey Comb Shades
These shades have become extremely popular in the past couple of years, are very modern and are perfect for keeping out harsh sunlight, as Calgary gets on average 2396 hours of sunlight per year.
Blinds can come in many different materials, such as wood, faux wood, or aluminum. This is your best bet if you have children, because they are the easiest to clean. They can also prevent a glare from coming in onto your television or computer screen on a sunny day.
One thing to keep in mind when choosing window treatments is keeping consistency in the products you are using, this creates a flow of designs throughout your home. That could mean you design by floor, by the front/ back of the home or by room.
Check out Who to Call for a complete list of local Calgary Blind and Drapery retailers and installers in Calgary.