Spring-cleaning can be a daunting task when tackling at the beginning of the season. Once it is done your house will feel so clean and fresh! We have provided you with a checklist of the basic things you should tackle first, and then the rest won’t seem so bad.
- Begin by opening all your windows and lifting your blinds, letting the fresh air and natural light seep into your home
- De-clutter: You know that really useful thing that has been sitting in the corner for the past 6 months? Either put it away, or give it away
- Dust, dust and dust!
- Edit your wardrobe: Get rid of any clothes you have not worn within 1 year. Don’t let yourself be talked into the typical “oh I am sure I will wear that this summer” gig, it is just taking up unwanted space in your closet. A few organizations can make good use of your neglected clothing are:
- Making Changes Walk-Closet: http://www.makingchangesassociation.ca/our_programs/walk_in_closet_program/
- Cerebral Palsy Association: http://cpalberta.com/donate/recycle-clothing-bottles/
- Women in Need Society (WINS): http://www.womeninneed.net
- The Calgary Drop In Centre: http://www.thedi.ca/
- Tidy up all the items off of your dresser and nightstand.
- Dust and wash your bedroom furniture thoroughly
- Fix scratches and any other built up dirt in those hard to reach places
- Do a standard deep clean of your bathroom
- Drain Maintenance: de-clog your drains with baking soda, vinegar and steaming hot water
- Check your toilet for leaks and loose fittings
- Clean out your medicine cabinet: dispose of expired or leaking medications and recycle anything you are not using anymore
- Organize your pantry, spice racks and dish cupboards – You’ll love yourself each time you grab a dish or mug!
- Wash the outside of your cupboards getting rid of any residue or dirt that builds up over time
- Go to the very back of your fridge, freezer and deep freeze, and dispose of any expired, rotten or food gone bad; give it a good cleaning too
- Clean out your oven: this can be a smoky process so we advise you do this on a nice day when you can have the windows and doors open so you can air your home
- Clean out your microwave
- Dump the crumbs out of your toaster
- Organize your junk drawer (come on, there’s no better time than now)!
- Steam-clean your furniture such as your couches and sofas. Search for the best Calgary cleaning companies on Who To Call to come do this for you
- Condition your hardwood floors and reseal them with acrylic, oil or wax based product
- Sanitize your children’s toys:
- Put any plastic toys in the dishwasher.
- Stuffed animals or any toys made out of fabric- run through the washing machine.
- Hand wash and sanitize any other toys or things that your kids touch on a regular basis.
- Organize visible cords for TVs, game consoles and light fixtures
- Dust around your TV and pull it out to get to the very back
- File all of those documents, receipts and notes that have been building up on your desk for months
- Give your desk a good clean inside and out (something even we rarely do!)
- Tech clean up: sanitize your mouse, keyboards and computer screen
- Back-up your computer (you’ll thank us later for this one)
- Go through and delete the 1 million junk emails you have chosen to ignore for the past year. Better yet – unsubscribe!
Outside your home
- Clean up the yard: rake and collect debris for composting
- Sweep the gravel off your lawn
- Sweep then wash out the salt and grime build-up from the winter in your garage
- Organize the clutter in your garage and shed – we all have this problem!
- Take your patio furniture out of storage and give it a good wipe-down
- Take all of your bottles to the closest bottle depot
- Wash the insides and outsides of your windows. We recommend hiring a professional window washing company to do this
- Take a pressure washer to the outside of your house getting rid of that gross winter build up
- Clean up your BBQ:
- Degrease grill
- Clean out the bottom of the BBQ or heat deflector
- Replace your coals or briquettes
- Wash the exterior
- Refill the propane tank, to avoid the horrible disappointment the first time you BBQ and the propane is all out!
We know doing this all at once could be a bit like climbing Everest, but tackling little bits each weekend or weekday evening will get you through it! For professional help, browse the Who to Call website for Calgary cleaning, “handyman” and landscaping services to assist you with your annual spring clean!
Other articles you might be interest in: