Christmas is officially less than a month away! It’s time to bring your holiday home décor out of storage and head to the hardware store to get lights and supplies, to make your home a winter wonderland. This year we suggest you switch things up a bit and decorate your home with local delights found around YYC . Calgary’s local scene has grown exponentially over the past couple of years and the city is bursting with holiday magic. Shopping local this Christmas will support our Calgary artists and businesses, be more ecologically friendly (most products are made green) and be gentle on your budget. You may even find a one-of-a-kind gem, that is not your average department store Christmas find, which will become a part of your holiday collection for years to come!
Check out this list of local Holiday Markets, shops and festivities, and decorate your home with tiny treasures from around Calgary!
- Christmas in Inglewood: November 19-December 24 in the community of Inglewood
- Christmas in Kensington: Every weekend between November 28 and December 21 in the community of Kensington
- Market Collective: December 4-6 and December 18-20 at the Chinese Cultural Centre
- Santa at the Market: December 4-5 at the Calgary Farmers Market
- Eau Claire Xmas Market: December 5-6 in Eau Claire
- Marda Loop Christmas Craft Show: December 12 at the Marda Loop Community Association
- Santa’s Reindeer Are Back! December 12-13 at Symons Valley Ranch
- Commonwealth Collectors Club: December 13 at Commonwealth Bar & Stage
- Festive Music at the Market: December 19 at the Calgary Farmers Market
- Plant: Holiday planetarium ornaments
- The Livery: a local boutique offering handmade holiday decorations and presents from local artisans.
- Rubaiyat: a boutique on 17th ave showcasing over 80 artists locally, nationally and internationally.
- Crafted Artisan Truck: Calgary’s first artesian mobile boutique showcasing one-of-a-kind crafts created by makers in Calgary and across Canada.
Stuck on what to make for Holiday Baking? Here are a few local dessert bakeries that allow you to place your order and will have your baking done for you, just in time for Christmas dinner. These goodies also make great gifts.
If you are feeling particularly energetic, craft your own holiday decorations! This is the perfect family activity and will foster memories attached to each piece, making them priceless. A few ideas to get you started:
- Snow Dough: this will be sure to be a fun gooey hit with children at almost any age. Learn how to make it here.
- Papier-mâché Snowman: this little guy is a great holiday decoration and is super fun to make with the whole family! Learn how here.
- Make ornaments that will give your tree character. Here are some ideas.
- Use mason jars as ornaments, centerpieces or just general decorations. Here are some beautiful mason jar inspired decorations.
Looking for more holiday cheer? Calgary is hosting numerous events, between now and December 25 that will be easy on your wallet and fun for the whole family. Check them out here.