A City of Calgary license is important for both businesses and consumers. A license is the City’s way of putting their stamp of approval on a business, reassuring homeowners that they are hiring a reliable company to get the job done and legally protecting both sides.
In Calgary there is a general Business License and then an additional City Qualified Trade License. What do this mean? Find out here!
A City of Calgary Business License
If you are a business in the City of Calgary, the chances are high that you are required to have a business license. Ultimately, having a business license tells the public and potential consumers that you have met The City of Calgary’s licensing requirements and you have been legally approved to operate your business within Calgary. It also allows you to apply for other licenses that you may be required to obtain, such as construction permits and Trade Licenses.
Obtaining a City of Calgary Business License requires just a few steps:
- Determine what approvals, permits and licenses your business needs to operate within the city limits through the City’s registration process
- Then you must figure out what category your business falls under and what other approvals and/ or inspections are required in order to obtain your license
- A fee is then required to be submitted, along with your Application for a Business License form to the Calgary Municipal Building
See more details about obtaining a City of Calgary Business License here.
City Qualified Trade License
If you are a trade contractor in the home service industry, it may be in your best interest to obtain a City Qualified Trade License on top of your business license. There are only 2 simple steps to go through in order to obtain this license and become a Qualified Tradesman:
- Complete the online application form to become a City Certified Tradesman
- Book an appointment with an available Planning Services Technician at City Hall to have your qualifications verified- See what documents you must bring to the appointment here.
Identifying A Licensed Business
For most companies it will be obvious that they are licensed, because it is in their best interest to advertise this. Usually businesses will put an icon from the City of Calgary on their website that certifies their license. If you cannot find the icon on their website, or the company you are interested in does not have any online presence, you have the right to ask the service provider for proof of their license. Also, to make it easier for homeowners, all local service companies that are Licensed by the City of Calgary are identified on the Who to Call website for your convenience. Who To Call