Don’t get too excited! Spring is still a little or long ways away, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t start planning your dream yard renovation/revitalization so that when the season ‘springs up’ you can ‘spring into action’. See what we did there?
There are, more or less, three stages when it comes to yard renovation, each as important as the next. It starts with prepping, continues on to adjusting, and finishes with shiny and new. This process guarantees a yard that is unrecognizable and everything you had in your mind without a full overhaul and a big bill.
- Poop scoop
- Rake leftover leaves (compost these if possible)
- Pick up garbage/junk (this includes donating lawn ornaments and parts you no longer need)
- Collect twigs (good to save and dry out for firewood)
- Make the yard the best it can be in it’s current state
- Pull dead weeds
- Put things away
This step is the ‘good as new’ one and can actually make you feel the most accomplished, and make your yard look like it is as fresh and exciting as it once was. After a good clean up you will be able to see all of the easy and inexpensive fixes that can be done to get the yard in tip top shape for summer. Things that may have gone long unchecked or that just need a yearly go-over. Not a handy person? Call on one of Who To Call‘s Landscape Maintenance companies to help.
- Replace broken/cracked fence boards
- Reinforce loose boards
- Replenish woodchips/coloured stones
- Trim tree branches from pathways
- Sand and paint fence/deck
Once the yard looks its best you can see what is outdated or needs to be replaced. This is where the ‘new stuff’ comes in and makes your yard renovation complete. Your yard was likely wonderful before but a few new tweaks will make it feel like a fresh start for the new year and keep things up to date and trendy. This is where you can get creative and make it truly yours. If you need help with design Who to Call has some great local Calgary Landscape Designers who would be happy to turn your backyard into your summer getaway. Too busy to manage the project or don’t know where to start? Check out Who To Call’s Long list of Calgary Landscape Contractors to help you.
- New Paint Colour (A pop of colour can really brighten up a yard. Don’t feel stuck in the ‘white picket fence’ mentality.)
- Replace patio stones (Are they cracked? Replace them. Get creative and have fun with your pathway to peace.)
- Plant/Garden (Look up some plants that can be planted in early spring and load your bed with colour and health. Gardening is a great addition to the yard and will allow you to grow healthy foods for your family. Your land scape designer will be able to help you pick the most beautiful flowers for your flower beds as well.)
- Furniture shopping (Now is the time to start looking for a new patio set. Once summer hits the prices will sky rocket. The earlier the better and also the more selection!)