Back pain. Chilly winds. Icy driveway. Tired of snow shoveling the old-fashioned way, and not really a big fan of huge wallops of snowfall?
This year, don’t let those chilly YYC temps and constant dumps of white fluff overwhelm you. Instead, consider a snow removal contractor who’s not only well equipped to handle a bevy of snow and ice from Old-Man Winter, but is also experienced and certified in the profession.
When to hire for snow removal?
- While an average snowfall doesn’t mean life-threatening circumstances, an excessive snowfall does. When gusting winds blasted from the Alberta Rockies freeze Calgary flights and stop worker-bees from heading to the office, prompt sidewalk snow and ice removal is critical to maintain safe, anti-slip walkways – something all homeowners are responsible for clearing (plus you’ll avoid a hefty fine this way).
- Same with clearing your driveway and climbing atop the roof to clear those icy snow drifts from your home. Rather than risk your safety, find a contractor trained with user-friendly tools who can remove snowy build-up quickly and effectively.
- Not home for the holidays? Hire a snowy-day contractor to keep your driveway and sidewalk clean and dry while you take in the sunshine in Tahiti/Mexico/Hawaii.
- Been doing the icy “Shovel and Dump” workout for too long and need a break? Give your sore back some rest by selecting a good-fit contractor for your winter woes.
What to look out for before hiring
- Is your contractor certified by Better Business Bureau?
- Do they have proper WCB coverage?
- Do you (the home owner) have liability coverage in case of damage?
- What is your contractor’s process for bringing down snow and ice?
- Do they have references?
- What’s the hourly rate? Average price for snow removal is: $50 to $65/hour.
- Are you provided with written agreement? Note: without one you’re not protected.
Christmas Light Installation
As you “Deck the halls with boughs of holly” and haul your Christmas tree out of storage this December – get into the holiday spirit by hiring a professional to install your outdoor Christmas lights.
Here’s why a winter wonderland pro might be the way to go:
- Electrical Safety: No matter how eco-friendly some Christmas lights say they are, outdoor decorative lighting will still eat up more electrical energy than your family usually does. Make sure you don’t have bad wiring, overloaded circuits or insufficient grounding by hiring an expert-eye for the job.
- Construction Safety: You might prefer your Christmas displays (lights) be placed atop and around your roof, plus other hard-to-reach places. So, instead of risking major accident, have a lighting contractor with proper training and equipment get the more elaborate multi-colored tasks done for you.
- Lighting Options: Now is the the time to purchase your holiday lights. The selection and supply is best. Ideally choose the C7 size bulb for your home. You may think that bigger is better but in actual fact the mid size bulbs create the best festive look, giving you more lights/foot. LED bulbs provide good energy efficiency…something we are all after.
- Take Down: By hiring a contractor, all your end-of-January take down responsibilities are taken care of. No need to bruise yourself with work after hosting family, friends and master chef’ing your way through all those turkey dinners.
Give yourself a break and support your local #yyc businesses this season by hiring a pro to help with these tasks. We now offer “on demand” service pros ready to serve you immediately. Just Post A Project on Who To Call and we will send a quality professional your way to get the job done.