This time of year is like Christmas to Calgarians. Our July long weekend begins with Canada Day, followed by the Greatest Show on Earth, 10 days of plaid, cowboy hats and country music. With so much going on, it’s hard to choose what to do with family and friends to celebrate. Here are a few ideas to help you throw the best Canada Day/ Stampede party and then get out and enjoy other events going on in Calgary.
Steps For Planning Your Own Event!
- Decide on Event Details
- Prepare the food or have it catered
- Inside or outdoor party
- With kids or adults only
- Hosting a Stampede breakfast is a great option
- If catering is your choice (way less work for you) there are plenty of great local companies ready to assist Devour Caterers, Bon Appeitit, Our Daily Brett and Scratch Fine Foods ad Catering
- Prepping for the day of the event
- Tidy and clean the party space. There are many service companies that will help you with this task. Try a cleaning service for the inside of your home OR hire a landscaper to spiff up your yard and make it look like it is ready for the Queen.
- If your patio is in need of a little sprucing, check out the Who to Call Blog for ideas on how to creating the perfect outdoor living room space.
- Find decorations that fit the western theme (remember sometimes less is more in this department)
- Make sure you BBQ is in tip top condition if that is the option you have choose to go with- here a few tips on BBQ cleaning and maintenance
- Use ecofriendly party supplies that can be recycled and not turned into waste
- Check out Green Calgary or Green event Services, for tips on ensuring your event is a sustainable and economically friendly one
- Check out Blu Planet Recycling for the proper recycling bins and supplies for the event
- Lastly! If it is a Stampede event that you are throwing you must make sure you are dressed the part! Check out Smithbilt Hats, a 100 year old Calgary company, that will fit you with the perfect cowboy hat.
- The Event
If you have prepared properly, then the event will run itself. Make sure to have a few games for your guests to occupy themselves. This always adds to the fun.
- Shoot the Boot, Beer Pong and flippy cup are all great options for more fast pace Stampede or Canada Day celebrations
- Have a fire, play cards/ board games and have equipment for kids to play with if your event is a more tame and relaxed one
- Photo Booth: create funny props and different decorations to make your event an affair to remember- or just one really large Facebook album
- Clean up
- This is the most dreaded part of planning any sort of event, it can be a lot of work and there is absolutely nothing exciting about it. Use a cleaning services so you can get out and enjoy other events going on in YYC.
Stampede events happening around the city:
- Stampede Breakfasts: you have to attend at least one of these, if you haven’t already thrown your own- it’s a Calgary tradition!
- Check out Stmpdr for more local stampede events and festivities, the list is a long one!